Author Topic: Modernfailbag 2  (Read 4852 times)

[GIT]Fairy

• All yore posts are belong to me!!!
  • Get a life spamm0r
Modernfailbag 2
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:22:44 AM »

The news that hit the wires over the last few days re about MW2 has totally amazed me.  As a PC gamer the bold item below dismayed me.  Is there any point in even owning a PC any more now that gaming companies are even hammering the nails into the coffin?

IW will have total control of the game.
IWnet servers will host multiplayer.
DLC will be a charged item for PC.
No dedicated servers.
Semi-capable password servers.
Semi-capable ad-hoc servers.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:24:57 AM by TheFairy »

[TiG]ABE

• Administrator
  • Needs a life
Re: Modernfailbag 2
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »
time to buy a ps3 slim for xmas.

fps games are pretty slow on consoles also. but the players suck especially my flatmates i beat them 3v1 by 400points easy everytime  on that realy small map in cod4 lol.

mabey BF1943 - or what ever its called will save the day  :|

Cully

• Should be a better title
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »
Dont get a ps3 Abe, its nothing more than a mediocre game console and a very good media player.
I own one and a 360, 360 wins hands down imo.
Far better online ,friends,parties etc are great on live, multi platform titles usually work out better on 360 too as its a lot easier to program than ps3 apparently.
Controls are a lot better on 360 too.
For a gaming console the 360 is the better option, if you want a media player go for a ps3.

It makes me sick the way activision and infinity are treating pc gamers.
The COD series was born and reared on pc, only for its pc users it would not be the force it is today.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:06:23 AM by Cully »

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
Disappointing alright, tbh, that sounds like all the hallmarks of a console port.

Don't mind too much though, the videos of the gameplay didn't really appeal to me, too much flashy crap on the screen...and another thing...you fucking kids have it all too easy these days, flashy 100% complete graphics in your face, rain drops on the screen...explosions and self gratifying action at every turn, 'yore great!' messages all the time...what is it? A.D.D.?  read a book or get a craft hobby...this generation doesnt know what side it's bread is buttered on...I tell you...in my day... *grumble mumble*

Yea, so probably won't get it unless there's a compelling reason.

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »
pirating this for single player not a hope of buying it with no dedi server support very disapointed

[TiG]Suppafly

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »
Thats fairly shit alright. Also having to pay for DLC is crap too. I think i might be following along your lines grim too

[GIT]Fairy

• Get a life spamm0r
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
I say we all revisit the old games, they still have loads to offer. 

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
DICE Makes Hay With Dedicated Server Controversy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
Earlier this morning, the executive producer for the Battlefield franchise tweaked Call of Duty over Infinity Ward ending dedicated server support, "confirming" that, yes, dedicated server support is "a given" in Battlefield titles on the PC.

"Dedicated servers FTW. What ever secures a better online experience is a given for us," Tweeted DICE's K.M. Troedsson.

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »

The news that hit the wires over the last few days re about MW2 has totally amazed me.  As a PC gamer the bold item below dismayed me.  Is there any point in even owning a PC any more now that gaming companies are even hammering the nails into the coffin?

IW will have total control of the game.

IWnet servers will host multiplayer.
DLC will be a charged item for PC.
No dedicated servers.
Semi-capable password servers.
Semi-capable ad-hoc servers.

modern airborne?

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
Back to COD2!

[GIT]Fairy

• Get a life spamm0r
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 08:08:40 AM »
I'd be up for giving COD2 a go, anything for the LOL's!

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »
petition already at 94,000 signatures  lol

[TiG]ABE

• Administrator
  • Needs a life
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw signy signy

100587 Total Signatures  :?:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:14:33 PM by [TiG]ABE »

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
how epic is this ad lol

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 06:51:04 PM »
Wow at iw response

Modern Warfare fansite bashandslash.com recently reported that Infinity Ward is removing dedicated server functionality from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With dedicated servers and the server browser that comes with them replaced with custom-built matchmaking, PC gamers will have an online experience functionally identical to console players. Among other things, this means that clans can't run their own servers with their own mods and rulesets for their own private (or public, if they feel like crushing some scrubs for giggles) use.

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicates servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

TinyPortal © 2005-2017