Author Topic: Ireland V England iracing [video]  (Read 14569 times)

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
Re: Ireland V England iracing [video]
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »
n1 for the write up there, will have antoher run tonight.  I kicked off on a practice server on laguna seca in the pontiac last night, introduced myself to the ppl there and one of them (and over-friendly american lad, jim something), ran me around the track slowly a couple of times, was great to be welcomed in straight away, certainly a lot better than the "wtf noob!?" you'd get in other games.  ingame voice is handy, you use it?  (which key on the wheel bound?)

I'll fire it up again tonight and give it a go again.  Need a few hours on it with a clear head to suss it out, was too tired by the end last night.

I presume clean races implies "don't hit anyone!"?

thanks for the write up, I'll try some time trial tonight and a praccy session, see how I get on.  tried to add you as a buddy in it, couldn't see a way to from the drivers screen.  pm'd you mah name.

Cully

• Should be a better title
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 02:39:32 PM »
Yeah the community is spot on.
The whole thing is managed and sanctioned by FIRST   

FIRST is the global sanctioning body for internet racing conducted through and by iRacing.com. Its mission is to organize, facilitate and execute internet racing competitions, providing structure, consistency and fairness.

You can protest other racers for abusive behaviour and or wreckless driving.
Ive yet to see abusive behaviour however.
Yes they take it serious,apart from the best physics and netcode out there for a racing sim, its the clean racing thanks to the SR that is a massive draw and what simracers have wanted for years.
After years of painfull racing on public servers its a breath of fresh air to race on clean servers, if and when accidents happen you will more often get an apology instantly via voice comms or text but most prefer to do so via pm after the race as most only use voice comms during practice or under a safety car.
Some also use it to inform a leader which side to pass while being lapped or off the pace etc.
I use one of the buttons on the G25 shifter for voice comms, i use the left and right buttons on the wheel for look left/right.

I meant to mention this earlier, BIG TIPS -

1 - Use F3 while in any session with others on track, it tells you where they are on track.
2 - Make sure you have spotter turned ON in sounds menu, this is of immense use and saves you having to use look left/right buttons
     Your crew chief will tell you "inside", "outside" "your in the middle 3 wide" etc.

Have this turned on all the time mate for both oval and road courses.
You will be working hard enough racing, gear changing,trailbraking etc to have to worry about looking left/right -the spotter is that good rarely use look left/right now.
Lately ive been using the left red button on wheel for voice comms and not using look left/right at all.

I took these 3 from a thread from iracing staff on the forums

1. Practice with friends. One of the biggest failings most sim drivers have, is the ability to drive in crowded conditions. Drive nose to tail and side by side until you are both comfortable. The more friends you can do it with the better, and you will learn to trust each other in tight situations

2. Learn to drive different lines through turns. The hot lap line you run in qualifying is fine for qualifying or when you are on a clear track. It doesnt work at the start of the race or in crowded condition. Learn the inside line and the outside line an know the braking points for these lines so you will be able to stay on thart side of the track with another car next to you

3. Situational awareness. Be aware of cars around you and what they are doing or trying to do. Be aware of what another driver MIGHT do and act accordingly. Vision in a sim is limited, so if you are not sure whether another car is next to you, then ASSUME there is one there. This might lose you a position in some cases, but it is better to be safe than wreck the race for a few people, yourself included

The community is outstanding and easily the best ive come across in any genre of gaming.
I sent ya a pm on members forums.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:13:45 PM by Cully »

[TiG]the_syco

• My command is your wish...
  • TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »
Eh... shite. Ye gotta pay monthly for this thing :( ?156 a year? To hell with that! Thought someone mentioned a trial?

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:12:21 PM by [TiG]Grim »

[TiG]the_syco

• My command is your wish...
  • TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu

[TiG]Molc

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • http://molc.nonado.net
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »
Ok all signed up, cully referred, software downloading. I'll be on Sunday afternoon for a blast around, or maybe even Saturday if I get a spare 30 mins.

Kinda excited about this actually. USed to love the Geoff crammond GP series of sims (http://www.grandprixgames.com/accueil.html) but always missed been able to race against other people.

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 10:40:11 AM »
I time trialed in the legends rookie car on an oval last night,. put in about 28 'clean' laps, not especially fast or anything. 

My SR rating went DOWN by .02! 

This is gonna take some getting used to.

Cully

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
I time trialed in the legends rookie car on an oval last night,. put in about 28 'clean' laps, not especially fast or anything. 

My SR rating went DOWN by .02! 

This is gonna take some getting used to.

I just looked at your session stats, you done 31 laps and had 10 incident points, thats why SR went down a bit.
Time trials bring up your SR but at a lot slower rate than races.

Heres your stats for that session
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=535679&custid=27308
Only members can view the stats.

[TiG]Molc

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
I love the green, white and gold stripes on the car. We should make a TiG paintjob tbh :D

Cully

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »
Heres what im running, as you can see im not sure which green i prefer :)
Ill add more later, just about to do the 1 pm mazda race.
EDIT : more of my paint jobs added.

When not working on the series im running in now im busy getting to grips with this beast below for my promotion to B class on road courses in 6 weeks,its the Riley Mk XX Daytona Prototype.

Once i hit B class on oval this is my next beast to buy , Car of Tomorrow The Impala SS.
Its what Nascar are running since this year.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:56:38 PM by Cully »

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 02:33:41 PM »
gl   :salute:

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
You won... grats.

Cully

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Yeah managed a win but the race was unofficial as we only had 8 participants :( needs to be 10 to be official.

Results here http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=537392&custid=16556

Was a fun race all the same,battle for full 75 laps for 1st place with other guy.
just uploading vid of it to vimeo, will link in a bit.

Video link :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:40:41 PM by Cully »

Cully

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 09:20:27 AM »
Anyone still unsure of what iracing is about and dont wish to check out the long vid linked above, try this 2 minute one instead.

[TiG]Molc

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
Anyone on tomorrow for a blast around some track ors? Logged on briefly last night and just managed to crawl around one lap eventually:P

TinyPortal © 2005-2017