Author Topic: NTL are killing my Quake Wars!  (Read 2059 times)

tig|Bosco

• Should be a better title
NTL are killing my Quake Wars!
« on: November 22, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »
Posted in case anyone else here experiences this problem:

Issue: "Connection reset" message appears after delay when attempting to login for online play in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.  Server browser does not appear.

As of last Friday or so NTL in Galway have implemented some kind of packet filtering/trafic shaping system. (Bastards!)  The system is intented to block P2P traffic (Azureus is now crawling) but is having the side effect of blocking ET:QW user authentication traffic.  Result is I now cannot log into Quake Wars to play online without implementing a pain-in-the-ass workaround.

Workaround involves using IP tunneling for QW authentication traffic, requiring the installation of two additional pieces of software.

Workaround details:
http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13358

Tunneling does work but I now have two new TSRs. Splash Damage are working to change characteristics of the auth traffic so that it doesn't trigger this filtering, but for the time being NTL (Bastards!!) are killing my Quake Wars and my torrents! (BASTARDS I SAY!!!!!).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:10:34 PM by tig|Bosco »

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
Re: NTL are killing my Quake Wars!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »
Handy link there for anyone with the same problems.

Try sending NTL an email about it,  if only to see what their customer service monkies have been told to communicate to customers about it all.

[TiG]Nietzschean

• TiG Member
  • Moving Up In Life
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:18:54 AM »
wonder if that effects xbox live games, (the community features in ETQW are done by the same people who do networking middleware for alot of console games...)

tig|Bosco

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »
Tonight my torrents started working again.  Tested Quake without the tunneling workaround and it's now working ok, no problems logging in.  Nothing changed on my end.

tig|Bosco

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »
The story is that the problem is now intermittent wheras before it was constant.  Torrents and Quake Wars now work well late at night but don't work properly at peak times (without tunneling).

I'm assuming that NTL have either setup the P2P blocking rules to come into effect at certain times of the day, or possibly that packets flagged as P2P traffic are given a very low priority and end up being delayed or blocked when demand is high.

[TiG]Boru

• I like pie
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
The story is that the problem is now intermittent wheras before it was constant.  Torrents and Quake Wars now work well late at night but don't work properly at peak times (without tunneling).

I'm assuming that NTL have either setup the P2P blocking rules to come into effect at certain times of the day, or possibly that packets flagged as P2P traffic are given a very low priority and end up being delayed or blocked when demand is high.

is he speaking Prussian?? or japan's???? :| :| 

TinyPortal © 2005-2017