Author Topic: Help Meh! Can't login to Windows XP.  (Read 1884 times)

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
Help Meh! Can't login to Windows XP.
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
Ahoy lads,

Posting this around, problem with my own older PC, (the shuttle), has loads of stuff on it I want back, so need to get it working again, read below:

Windows looks like it is booting nomally, gets to where user should be prompted to login (standalone workgroup machine), yet the login prompt is not presented, instead, just a blank blue background, mouse and keyboard are responsive (mouse moves, keyboard allows capslock toggle).

CTRL-ALT-DEL does not bring up the task manager.

Same behaviour is evident is safe mode.

Have attempted using last known good configuration, VGA mode, all safe modes including safe mode with cmd prompt - (didn't even get a cmd prompt!), shortcut keys to try to get a run dialog and an XP repair install to no avail.

Any suggestions appreciated, have spent a fair while on this now according to the chart below:

Thanks,

Luc

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
Re: Help Meh! Can't login to Windows XP.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:42:35 AM »
Need a full version of regrecover if anyone can find it, all my 'american cousin' sites are on the affected pc

it's the one from here: http://freenet-homepage.de/h.ulbrich/

[GIT]Fairy

• All yore posts are belong to me!!!
  • Get a life spamm0r
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
Sorry none of my cousins can find this for me bar the link already posted.  Is that not the full ver?

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:21:33 AM »
no worries, ta for checking ;)  might hafta buy it now :)

[TiG]Molc

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • http://molc.nonado.net
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
logon is handled by winlogon and msgina.dll, one or both of which could be corrupted...

IF you only need files on the box, have you tried just turning on the machine and going in over the network? At worst, pop the hard drive out and just connect it to another machine...

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »
Thanks molc, yea, already got the HDD out and grabbed files etc. 

I replaced logon those files you mentioned above with extracted ones from cab files on the XP CD also.

Want to get the box fixed up again, have noticed that 4 out of 5 registry hives don't open on the other machine here, hence to tool required above.  A longshot, I know....  debating whether to just let go or to spend the 40 quid on it :)

Luc

[GIT]Fairy

• All yore posts are belong to me!!!
  • Get a life spamm0r
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
Just let it go to PC heaven and use it as an excuse to build a whole new machine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2017