Author Topic: WARNING W32.Deletemusic WARNING  (Read 695 times)

Murray

• Moving Up In Life
    • Navan Nitro Nuts
WARNING W32.Deletemusic WARNING
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »
Quote from: -TD-SkullDragon
this is a virus that is taking the net by storm, it deletes all your mp3 files

Quote from: from yahoo
W32.Deletemusic worm hunts down and deletes MP3 files

Jeremy Kirk Thu Aug 2, 7:35 AM ET

San Francisco (IDGNS) - Security experts have discovered a worm that might just be the recording industry's dream application: it hunts down and deletes MP3s on infected PCs.
ADVERTISEMENT

Security companies say the worm is only low risk, although its unusual payload could give a nasty surprise to an ardent music fan. The motivation of the hackers who created it are unclear.

"The authors of this worm are more likely to be teenage mischief makers than the organized criminal gangs we typically see authoring financially-motivated malware these days," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for the security vendor Sophos.

"As such, it's not something we would lose an awful lot of sleep over, but there are some lessons that computer users should learn to minimize the chances of infection," he said.

The worm spreads via removable flash drives, reminiscent of the way viruses spread via floppy disks decades ago. That may be an attempt by the authors of the worm to bypass e-mail filters and Web gateway filters that block malicious software, Cluley said.

Symantec, which calls the worm W32.Deletemusic, said in an advisory that the worm copies itself to all drives on a PC. It also creates an autorun file to start itself whenever a user accesses a drive.

The worm affects PCs running Windows 2000, 95, 98, Me, NT, Server 2003, XP, and Vista, Symantec said. Users could disable the autorun feature in Windows that automatically launches programs on CDs or USB drives, Cluley said.

It's not the first malicious software to go after music files. Two years ago, researchers saw the Nopir-B worm, which posed as a utility to make copies of DVDs. Once on a machine, it displayed an anti-piracy graphic and tried to delete MP3s and other files.

Last year, a Trojan horse program called Erazer took the destructive activity a step further, wiping out MP3s as well as movies, Cluley said.

and more

Quote from: from ulitmate guitar

Not to start conspiracy theories, but has the music business finally found a way to battle music piracy? A new virus has been unleashed that destroys MP3 collections on infected PCs.

The cleverly named virus W32. Deletemusic lives up to it's name by devouring any MP3s it finds on an infected computer. Files on your harddrive are not the only ones at risk as this virus will also destroy MP3s on attached devices as well. In fact, Info World reports that flashdrives are the primary medium used to spread the virus. Mac and Linux users need not be alarmed as this virus targets the virus friendly Windows varients (which some call a virus as well).

The source of the virus is not known but it was discovered on July 30th. Info World reports that the likely suspect for the source is not the RIAA but a teenager. One expert told them, "The authors of this worm are more likely to be teenage mischief makers than the organized criminal gangs we typically see authoring financially-motivated malware these days," Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for the security vendor Sophos told Info World.

Symantic labels the virus risk as "very low" and says that "W32.Deletemusic is a worm that copies itself to all drives on the compromised computer. It also deletes all .mp3 files from the compromised computer." OS's that are vulnerable to this virus include Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000.

More info on this virus can be found here.

Speaking of viruses that destroy music, Motley Thru's Nikki Sixx is hard at work promoting his new book and solo CD. And no they are not called "Dude! I Died! Dude!"

Thanks for the info to Antimusic.com.

Google it for more info.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:46:11 PM by [TiG]Murray »

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
Re: WARNING W32.Deletemusic WARNING
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:47:57 PM »
useful info there, I will tell everyone I know to watch out for it.

Jackabo82

• Cillit Bang Salesman
  • Needs a life
    • Bebo thingy
Re: WARNING W32.Deletemusic WARNING
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »
Id cry if i got hit with this ,really

TinyPortal © 2005-2017