Author Topic: BF2 - The Lowdown  (Read 1000 times)

Cosmonaut

BF2 - The Lowdown
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:25:37 AM »
Okay i got BF2 yesterday and was playing it all day (ah the perks of working in a games shop) and i thought id share sum crap with ye.

The levels are a mix between city/desert and marsh/ocean with obvious air-power being used in the latter. Every map in the game expands in size when swapped from 16 man to 32 man, and Funnily enough, i couldnt seem to find the option for 32 man in Single player (which means smaller maps offline). Of course, multiplayer has the option of up to 64. There is a nice mix, but i couldnt help hoping for a bit more variety. In saying that i didnt get the chance to play about  of them, but in total (rough gues) id say there are about 10/12 maps in total, with multiples of those for the 16 man versions.

The city levels are 100% amazing. Narrow coradors with Missile-Weilding bastards on rooftops and alleyways.

The ai in some situations in simply delicious. I had one of those 'down behinf enimy lines' moments, where my hair stood on end watching my team mates desperatly trying to make it to me, but getting pushed back by supresing fire. Moments like this run throughout.

If youve played the demo, then most of it is the same. Character classes, mission types, all that comander/airstrike stuff. Its all replicated in full.

The demo is a good idea of what poweryoull need in yer PC. I had the same initial loads (for the shader optimisation) and the menu system etc..

The game ranomly crashed to desktop twice which wasnt nice, but i toned down the graphics and that did the trick (i think).

So yea, its well different to Veitnam (i love the new intro) but i think im warming to it.

Cant wait till the server is up lads.

[TiG]Lucutus

• Needs a life
BF2 - The Lowdown
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 09:33:28 AM »
Nice one Cosmo.  

You can donate to teh server with that little clicky on the homepage m8!

alternatively, bake your cake and eat it too ;)

ptegan

• Getting Known
BF2 - The Lowdown
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »
Thx for the review :)

You can modify a config file to allow 32 player SP maps but I don't know if the Ai will be as good or not as it probably won't have the correct waypoints.

search: BF2/mods/bf2/ai than open aidefault.ai with Wordpad

rem aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1
rem aiSettings.setMaxNBots 32
rem aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0
rem aiSettings.setBotSkill 1.0

Delete the rem before the aiSettings... and change the setting to whatever you want ( 32,48, 64)

Restart Game :

{Comrade}Macgyver

BF2 - The Lowdown
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 01:38:50 PM »
dam you and your job in a game shop! i actually trid to get a job on game in newry so that i could get a copy early. i seen the maps (the over veiw of them anyway) on the ea website
there are 2 maps which i think will be just great there is one were there are about 12 flags/points to capture and another one with one dead in the center for all out war  :D
any i'll be playing it tomarrow any who
think i'll be china and mec mostly because i don't like the usa weapons that much
looking forward to playing the server though

Cosmonaut

BF2 - The Lowdown
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 06:48:30 PM »
You can donate to teh server with that little clicky on the homepage m8!

will do. i owe ye at this stage sure.
how much ye want/need?

Yea wasnt there supposed to be 3 teams? i really didnt do my homework on BF2 before it came out.

Really suprised with the differences.
Dice have balls, and EA do for that matter, considering they usually re-release the same game with a few bells and whistles attached.

I hope it does well. Seeing an innovation gave succeed is sumthing thats happening less and less.

We have tons of them put away in the shop so i guess thats a good sign.

----------

oh and thnx for the code ptegan. ill give it a shot, worth a while. Even just to see the bots act retarded while i shoot em'  :twisted:

[TiG]Shano

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
BF2 - The Lowdown
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 09:09:34 PM »
w00t city maps

=Warmonger=

BF2 - The Lowdown
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 02:30:55 PM »
me cant wait until i get min :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2017