Author Topic: New mobo, memory and cpu cooler  (Read 3266 times)

[TiG]Suppafly

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
New mobo, memory and cpu cooler
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:29:28 PM »
Thinking of upgrading a few things now that I have a new case and am going to be moving some stuff. Figured it might be a good time. Was thinking to upgrade the mobo, memory and get a cpu cooler.

Was thinking to get a new mobo to take advantage of ddr3 triple channel RAM. my current gigabyte mobo i believe only supports ddr2. Don't have a clue which mobo to get. Below is the RAM i was thinking of getting
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/12gb-%283x4gb%29-corsair-vengeance-jet-black-ddr3-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-150v

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/12gb-%283x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-xms3-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-15v

Wanting to go for either 12 or 16 gbs to future proof a bit.

Also regarding the mobo i was going to keep my current processor, as i think it is still ok. Its an intel E6600 quad core 2.4ghz. Was thinking to get the cpu cooler and then possibly overclock it to 3.0ghz so its stable and doesn't burn it out to quickly. What are the pros and cons for this? Also would i see much of an improvement in overclocking it to 3.0Ghz?

Here's the noctua cooler I was looking at. Would this be the right one to be compatible?
http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/13_COOLERS/03_CPU/productdetails/15496004/Noctua_NH_U12P_Processor_cooler_2_x_120mm/NH_U12P_SE2/default.aspx

Forgot to mention above, would like anyone recommendations for good RAM and mobos. All will be very much appreciated.

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
Re: New mobo, memory and cpu cooler
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
triple channel ddr3 is only for the x58 intel chipset

e6600 would be your bottle neck tbh will have a look and see what i can put together

[TiG]the_syco

• My command is your wish...
  • TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
Was thinking to upgrade the mobo, memory and get a cpu cooler.
Dude, I'm in the exact same line of thought. Except for the cooler. I've a TRUE120 which I'm keeping, but the Noctua brand has very good reviews. In saying that, as the rig is 3 years old this December, I may upgrade everything.

Was thinking to get a new mobo to take advantage of ddr3 triple channel RAM. my current gigabyte mobo i believe only supports ddr2. Don't have a clue which mobo to get.
I take it your CPU is socket 775? If so, the mobo that I have my eye on may also suit you: http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/product_info.php?cPath=1_28_37&products_id=2745 - socket 775, and takes DDR3 RAM. Not sure how the P5E3 handles overclocking, though :/

=-=

BUT, and that's a huge f?cking BUT, why not get a new chip stateside, and throw the chip only with the luggage that will go in the hold of the plane. A CPU is only an inch by an inch, and in anti-static bag it won't really be seen but at the same time it'll be safe with the clothes. You'll get it for sweet f?ck all in the states. Would you be anywhere near NYC? There's a very sweet tech shop there (www.jr.com) that you'd be able to get good tech at a very good price. If your missus buys it, she may be able to get a rebate as she has a US address...?

I think the exchange rate is a euro to a dollar forty four, so for about ?162 you'd get a i5-2500K 3.00GHz Unlocked Quad-Core Tell me you're not tempted :P

/edit
Just saw Grims post after writing my post. Very nice. Will look into his recommendations myself. Going from 2.63GHz to a  3.3GHz is good also.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:30:54 PM by [TiG]the_syco »

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
aye another option would to buy the ram and cpu in the states and buy the mobo in Europe kind of fucked if anything goes wrong though

[TiG]the_syco

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
aye another option would to buy the ram and cpu in the states and buy the mobo in Europe kind of fucked if anything goes wrong though
For you and I, yes, but as she has family there, Supa could just ship it to them, and they'd send it to the shop :D

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »

/edit
Just saw Grims post after writing my post. Very nice. Will look into his recommendations myself. Going from 2.63GHz to a  3.3GHz is good also.

the beauty of the 2500k is that with some slight tweaking and a decent cooler it will overclock to 4.5ghz

[TiG]the_syco

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »

/edit

the beauty of the 2500k is that with some slight tweaking and a decent cooler it will overclock to 4.5ghz
Aye, and as it's an "unlocked" processor, I think that'd be easier to do so. TBH, if I do get it, I'll be looking at watercooling.

[TiG]Suppafly

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
Do you know any good places aswell in the US grim? As this is an option as i could just bring the stuff back in my luggage

Would really think the e6600 wouldn't be up to much? ?397 doesn't sound too bad though for all of it though. I was thinking of getting some more RAM though, would 8 be enough to keep on top?  Is this the same version just in 16GB?
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-%284x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-xms3-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-15v

Also would they be better that the vengence or dominator ones? I have the xms at the moment actually I dunno the different so i trust your judgement grim :)

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
yeah that ram would be fine

vengence and dominator are aimed more at overclocking

as for us site all i can think off is something like http://www.newegg.com/

[TiG]Suppafly

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:26 PM »
I forgot to mention too I was thinking of getting an SSD drive. A 120GB version they seem okish prices for the size. I think that would prob be something i might be able to pick up over in the US and would be easy to bring back and its not to fragile. Dunno which ones to go for though. A friend in work was saying you have to be careful as some of them have fairly poor performance, even some of the good name brands. Any ideas on one?

Also just in general for buying stuff from the US. Would be there be any issue with the different voltage or they are all mostly dual voltage anyway. Or does that come in to it?

[TiG]the_syco

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:22:37 AM »
Would be there be any issue with the different voltage or they are all mostly dual voltage anyway. Or does that come in to it?
Not sure, but I'd think that would only come into play for the PSU's.

=-=

On a side note, have oc'ed the CPU from 2.83GHz to about 3.2GHz. CPU temp is about 35 degrees, going up to 51 degrees when I run Prime95.

[TiG]Grim

• Global Moderator
  • Needs a life
  • WaW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:21 AM »
idd voltage only matters psu wise

[TiG]Suppafly

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »
idd voltage only matters psu wise

Ya thats what thought alright

[TiG]the_syco

• TiG Member
  • Needs a life
    • the-syco.eu
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
On a side note, have oc'ed the CPU from 2.83GHz to about 3.2GHz. CPU temp is about 35 degrees, going up to 51 degrees when I run Prime95.
Bah. I seem to have possibly fubar'ed my system :'( BF3 freezes the system when it loads into the game after the "level loading" screen :'( Have put my system back to defaults, but it still happens.

/edit
Made a thread about my woes on boards.ie - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75387553
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:02:35 PM by [TiG]the_syco »

TinyPortal © 2005-2017